GW Banner

GW Banner

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Teaching" Decks

A friend in one of my classes expressed some interest in learning to play Magic, so as an exercise I decided to make three 40-card "teaching decks" out of cards in my bulk box. I ended up with a Mono-Red Aggro Deck, a GW Midrange deck, and a UB Control deck. I was restricted to what cards I had available, so none of the decks are quite basic enough for teaching a new player. However, I hope they could be somewhat effective at exhibiting different strategies and mechanics.

Me and my roommate played a few games with the decks and made some tweaks to them, but again the card pool is quite restrictive as I only have a single fat pack full of cards not in/for decks that is more biased towards some strategies than others. I think they might be horribly unbalanced but oh well.

Mono-Red Aggro:
2x Monastery Swiftspear
1x Rakdos Cackler
3x Valley Dasher
3x Goblin Shortcutter
1x Dragon Hatchling
1x War-Name Aspirant
1x Keldon Marauders
3x Bloodfire Expert

2x Shock
1x Burst Lightning
1x Lightning Strike
2x Madcap Skills
1x Act of Treason
2x Hordeling Outburst

16x Mountain


GW Midrange:
4x Elvish Mystic
1x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Centaur Healer
2x Wayfaring Temple
1x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
1x Soul of the Harvest
1x Mikaeus the Lunarch

4x Call of the Conclave
2x Farseek
2x Selesnya Charm
1x Unflinching Courage

2x Selesnya Guildgate
7x Plains
8x Forest

UB Control:
3x Augur of Bolas
1x Archaeomancer
1x Talrand, Sky Summoner
1x Sphinx of Uthunn

2x Ponder
3x Terror
2x Essence Scatter
2x Agony Warp
1x Ultimate Price
1x Disperse
1x Distress
2x Consult the Necrosages
2x Dissolve
1x Domestication

1x Dimir Guildgate
1x Evolving Wilds
6x Swamp
9x Island

No comments:

Post a Comment