GW Banner

GW Banner

Monday, April 6, 2015

Local Legacy: 4/6

Only 2 weeks left until the IQ. At this point in my playing the only big matchups that feel extremely unfavorable are Team America and Elves. Today I played the same list as last week. We had 12 people show up tonight so it was 4 rounds again!

The Meta was:
2x Miracles
1x 4C Loam
1x Junkblade
1x Death & Taxes
1x Goblins
1x Merfolk
1x Burn
1x Team America
1x RUG Delver
1x Reanimator
1x MUD

Round 1: Reanimator (2-1)
I know this player is usually on Reanimator. I made a kinda sketchy keep Game 1 of T1 Zenith->Arbor T2 Knight in a hope to get there with Karakas somehow, but I knew my chances of winning weren't great anyway. Didn't get there.

-1 G. Teeg, -2 Loam, -3 Punishing Fire
+4 Leyline, +2 Canonist, +1 Revoker

Games 2 and 3 I mulled to Leyline which got there. This player doesn't play Show & Tell and leans on Decay for permanent hate so Leyline is pretty good against him.

Round 2; Team America (1-2)
Don't really remember game 1 but I clearly was short on answers since he had 3 Tarmogoyfs when I died.

-1 Chalice, -1 G. Teeg
+1 Deluge, +1 Thrun

Game 2 I managed to trade 1-for-1 then landed a Deluge to wipe his board. We both went into topdeck mode and I drew out of it first with a Tarmogoyf he couldn't answer. Game 3 I kept a sketchy 6 with Chalice and Liliana. Didn't draw into enough removal to answer his stuff. Overall this is a pretty worrisome matchup from my side and one that is hard to fix. I asked one of the players there who is familiar with both decks about it, and the only additional suggestion he could make was maybe bring in some G-Charm. That seems ok against builds with Bob and I'll try it in future.

Round 3: Burn (1-2)
Ahh, the Nightmare Matchup. Every Legacy deck has it. For Miracles its 12-Post, for D&T its Elves. For 4C Loam it might be Burn. Its a similar matchup to Elves in that you need to cobble some kind of lock together while keeping their board clear/irrelevant, but is even harder to interact with. Chalice on 1 seems amazing against Burn until you realize they still have Rift Bolt, Price, Eidolon, Fireblast, and Vortex. You're kind of hedged against Price with Moxes, but on the other hand they are awful against Eidolon. Game 1 was over quick.

-3 Loam
+3 Canonist

You can't actually afford to take out Bob in this matchup since you need to draw a bunch of specific cards. Game 2 we were both on 5 cards. I lived the dream of answering his board then sticking Chalice on 1 and Teeg. That basically put him on Price, which I was insulated from, and Vortex. He got Vortex but I was able to kill him first. First game I've won against Burn with a Loam deck! Got wrecked again game 3 though. Its kind of sobering to have your $3,000 deck get trounced by a Burn deck. To add insult to injury, he was an inexperienced player on a WIP build with no fetches, no Blazes, and only 2 Goblin Guides. Every deck I play in Legacy loses to Burn, so I'm pretty used to this by now and was a good sport since he was a cool guy. I know this kind of thing drives some Legacy players up the wall but its just part of the format, and maybe one that contributes to its greatness.

Round 4: RUG Delver (2-1)
I saw this player was on RUG earlier and drew a God hand on the play with Chalice and removal.

-1 G. Teeg, -1 Loam, -1 Treetop Village
+1 Deluge, +1 Thrun, +1 G-Charm

Game 2 I kept a hand of P-Fire, Deluge, and lands. I decided to go for P-Fire on my second turn for his Delver but it got Dazed. I had to use the Deluge to kill his flipped Delver after he Forced my Library. He drew another Delver but I had Decay into Ooze. Ooze is a house in this match-up and I felt favored at a healthy 8 life and both of us low on cards. I knew he had a Bolt from his Delver flip so I planned on leaving up GG for the rest of the game to eat his 2 Delvers and basically kill him with a 2/2. He somewhat surprisingly went for Bolt on the Ooze. I figured he had Stifle or something but I went to eat a Delver anyway. In response, he cast Surgical targeting his Delver...welp, he got me. We both went into topdeck mode. I found a Bob which unfortunately took me to 2 hitting a Knight. He drew a Bolt to kill me! Game 3 I had a God hand again with Thrun action to back up my Chalice. Thrun is a good man.

Final Record: 2-2

I already had 2 losses but he was live for prizes still so I conceded at the conclusion of the last match. Good night and good games overall even if I didn't perform the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment