Unfortunately there was no Legacy last Monday due to the store being wiped out from Prerelease weekend (curse you, Standard players!). I was able to get some games of Legacy in during the week with friends but was definitely craving more when I showed up tonight. I played the same 4C Loam list from when I last played with the minor change of -1 Stirring Wildwood +1 Treetop Village. I've felt for a while now that the marginal benefits of White mana production and the extra point of toughness don't justify the Wildwood in Legacy (being out of Bolt range is fantastic in Modern though). Part of the reason I clung to it so long is that I have a $wag artist-signed Japanese copy, but I think my ego will survive it. I also changed the basic Forest in the deck from this impossible to fetch Masques foil to a more ergonomic white-bordered one.
Turnout was more than usual with a whopping 10 players, so we had 4 rounds. The meta was:
1x Casual Mono-Red: a kid showed up with this deck, happens from time to time.
1x 4C Loam
1x Miracles
1x Punishing Jund
1x BUG Delver
1x T.E.S.
1x Goblins
1x Sneak & Show
1x Reanimator
1x MUD
Round 1: T.E.S (0-2)
Didn't know this player so kept a "lands and spells" type hand in the dark. By his second turn he was clearly on Storm. I happened to have G. Teeg in my opener but he had double Therapy to bin it. He made a bunch of Goblins shortly thereafter and I was ded.
At this point, alarms should have been going off in my head at maindeck Empty and to a lesser degree fetching nonbasics in the face of Wastelands he knew about, but seeing Bayou made me decide he was on A.N.T. for some reason.
-3 P-Fire, -3 Decay, -3 Loam, +4 Leyline, +3 Canonist, +2 G-Charm, +1 G. Teeg
Game 2 I decided to keep a hand with Leyline, Wasteland, and Liliana, still laboring under the delusion that he was on A.N.T.. He Duressed my Liliana and quickly Emptied out some Goblins again. I had a few turns to draw G-Charm, but didn't. Lesson learned.
Round 2: MUD (1-2)
Game 1 on the play I had Wasteland, removal for Metalworker, and dudes.
-4 Chalice, +1 Revoker, +1 K-Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Deluge
Game 2 I kept 7 with good spells but only 1 land and 1 Mox. He played a Lightning Greaves which I elected to ignore, and on his second turn played Lodestone Golem and started beating me. I didn't draw much mana and Lodestone managed to lock me out of casting relevant spells and killed me.
Game 3 I seemed favored but let him untap with Metalworker while sandbagging a Revoker for his Ratchet Bomb instead. My reasoning was that I had a Library in play and the Bomb would have killed the Revoker on Metalworker when popped on 2, and he had only 1 or 2 cards in hand. At any rate, he untapped and slammed Platinum Emperion. I happened to draw Deluge and cast it but had no answer to his Forgemaster the next turn. He was able to untap with Forgemaster and activate it to get a Wurmcoil. That card is the scariest card in his deck for me. I had Bob and Library so I had sweet card selection and started cobbling together a plan playing big Knights to trade, but he drew a second Wurmcoil. At that point I was just trying to force a draw by chump blocking his army in turns, but he drew a Lodestone Golem which threw a wrench in my now Bob, Library, and Loam shenanigans. I forgot about the tax on turn 4 and did something wrong that couldn't make enough chump blockers to live.
Round 3: Bye
Booooo!
Round 4: Miracles (1-1)
I had a fine hand but never hit BB for Liliana and he removed my other threats with Plow/Terminus. A fast Entreat closed things for him.
-1 P-Fire, -1 Decay, -1 Ooze, -1 Mox, -2 Loam
+1 K-Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Thrun, +1 Canonist, +1 Revoker, +1 G. Teeg
Game 2 I had the unique turn 1 Liliana off 2 Moxes. That put a lot of pressure on him and I drew further gas. We were the last people there and were tired, so we decided to call it quits for the night after.
Final Record: 1-2-1 I guess. A bit of a disappointing night overall, but had some good games. With the SCG 5K IQ less than 3 weeks out, I just want to get in as many games with the deck as possible.
Turnout was more than usual with a whopping 10 players, so we had 4 rounds. The meta was:
1x Casual Mono-Red: a kid showed up with this deck, happens from time to time.
1x 4C Loam
1x Miracles
1x Punishing Jund
1x BUG Delver
1x T.E.S.
1x Goblins
1x Sneak & Show
1x Reanimator
1x MUD
Round 1: T.E.S (0-2)
Didn't know this player so kept a "lands and spells" type hand in the dark. By his second turn he was clearly on Storm. I happened to have G. Teeg in my opener but he had double Therapy to bin it. He made a bunch of Goblins shortly thereafter and I was ded.
At this point, alarms should have been going off in my head at maindeck Empty and to a lesser degree fetching nonbasics in the face of Wastelands he knew about, but seeing Bayou made me decide he was on A.N.T. for some reason.
-3 P-Fire, -3 Decay, -3 Loam, +4 Leyline, +3 Canonist, +2 G-Charm, +1 G. Teeg
Game 2 I decided to keep a hand with Leyline, Wasteland, and Liliana, still laboring under the delusion that he was on A.N.T.. He Duressed my Liliana and quickly Emptied out some Goblins again. I had a few turns to draw G-Charm, but didn't. Lesson learned.
Round 2: MUD (1-2)
Game 1 on the play I had Wasteland, removal for Metalworker, and dudes.
-4 Chalice, +1 Revoker, +1 K-Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Deluge
Game 2 I kept 7 with good spells but only 1 land and 1 Mox. He played a Lightning Greaves which I elected to ignore, and on his second turn played Lodestone Golem and started beating me. I didn't draw much mana and Lodestone managed to lock me out of casting relevant spells and killed me.
Game 3 I seemed favored but let him untap with Metalworker while sandbagging a Revoker for his Ratchet Bomb instead. My reasoning was that I had a Library in play and the Bomb would have killed the Revoker on Metalworker when popped on 2, and he had only 1 or 2 cards in hand. At any rate, he untapped and slammed Platinum Emperion. I happened to draw Deluge and cast it but had no answer to his Forgemaster the next turn. He was able to untap with Forgemaster and activate it to get a Wurmcoil. That card is the scariest card in his deck for me. I had Bob and Library so I had sweet card selection and started cobbling together a plan playing big Knights to trade, but he drew a second Wurmcoil. At that point I was just trying to force a draw by chump blocking his army in turns, but he drew a Lodestone Golem which threw a wrench in my now Bob, Library, and Loam shenanigans. I forgot about the tax on turn 4 and did something wrong that couldn't make enough chump blockers to live.
Round 3: Bye
Booooo!
Round 4: Miracles (1-1)
I had a fine hand but never hit BB for Liliana and he removed my other threats with Plow/Terminus. A fast Entreat closed things for him.
-1 P-Fire, -1 Decay, -1 Ooze, -1 Mox, -2 Loam
+1 K-Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Thrun, +1 Canonist, +1 Revoker, +1 G. Teeg
Game 2 I had the unique turn 1 Liliana off 2 Moxes. That put a lot of pressure on him and I drew further gas. We were the last people there and were tired, so we decided to call it quits for the night after.
Final Record: 1-2-1 I guess. A bit of a disappointing night overall, but had some good games. With the SCG 5K IQ less than 3 weeks out, I just want to get in as many games with the deck as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment