GW Banner

GW Banner

Monday, April 20, 2015

Tournament Report: SCG 5k Premier IQ, Providence

I registered this 75:

4C Loam

Lands (26)
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Windswept Heath
3x Bayou
2x Scrubland
1x Taiga
1x Savannah
1x Forest
4x Wasteland
1x Karakas
1x Dryad Arbor
2x Grove of the Burnwillows
1x Treetop Village
2x Barren Moor
2x Tranquil Thicket


Noncreature Spells (23)

Creature Spells (11)
4x Dark Confidant
1x Tarmogoyf
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Knight of the Reliquary

Sideboard (15)
SB 4x Leyline of the Void
SB 3x Ethersworn Canonist
SB 1x Gaddock Teeg
SB 1x Relclamation Sage
SB 1x Phyrexian Revoker
SB 1x Thrun, the Last Troll
SB 1x Krosan Grip
SB 2x Golgari Charm
SB 1x Toxic Deluge

To my surprise, there were almost 200 people so it was an eight round tournament. I was only expecting there to be six based on the usual turn out for these types of events.

Round 1: Elves (0-2)
Kept a reasonable looking hand game 1. He played his whole hand on his second turn and I conceded shortly thereafter to conceal information.

-3 Loam, -1 Treetop, -1 Ooze, -2 ?
+3 Canonist, +1 G. Teeg, +2 G-Charm, +1 Deluge

Game 2 I had a 7 with turn 2 Chalice and Canonist. He got out a Nettle Sentinel before I could Chalice him, and next turn I played Canonist. He played Visionary his next turn. I was sandbagging a Liliana and decided to deploy a Knight first to have a blocker for his Sentinel since I thought the game would go long and Liliana would be better sticking around. Unfortunately, next turn he simply cast NO sacrificing a Dryad Arbor, and his Sentinel, Visionary, and Hoof actually presented lethal damage unless I chump-blocked with a Knight (I attacked with Canonist the previous turn) and went to 2. At this point I had Decay and Liliana in hand so I could survive another turn by killing a creature and chumping the Hoof with Canonist. I stupidly played Liliana and edicted the Visionary instead of Decaying the Sentinel, leaving me exactly dead. I'm not sure what my outs were there, but I definitely squandered another draw step. In hindsight, it looks like I handled this game very poorly overall. I should have prioritized simply trading cards after I stuck Chalice instead of playing creatures, which would have delayed the NO aspect of his deck rather than having Gimpse handled redundantly by both Chalice and Canonist.

Round 2: Storm (0-2)
Kept turn 1 Bob turn 2 Liliana. Unfortunately I was dead on his second turn. He flipped his deck with Ad Nauseam so at least I got to see he was on A.N.T..

-3 Loam, -3 P-Fire, -3 Decay,
+4 Leyline, +3 Canonist, +1 G. Teeg, +2 G-Charm

I kept a 6 with just Leyline game 2 and didn't get there. He had a pretty quick kill once again. I can't lie, seeing a beautiful foiled/signed/foreign Storm deck flipped off AdNaus is beautiful.

Round 3: Omni-Tell (0-2)
I had turn 1 Chalice on 1 on the play, which he Forced pitching Intuition. I put him on some kind of Show and Tell deck. On his 2nd turn he cast Show and Tell, put Omniscience into play, cast Dig Through Time, cast Cunning Wish-->Eladamri's Call, and cast Emrakul.

-3 Loam, -3 P-Fire, -1 Ooze
+3 Canonist, +1 G.Teeg, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 K-Grip, +1 Revoker

I didn't know if Revoker did anything but I brought it in anyway. Ooze might have been better because of Dig, but I figured he was generally casting it without paying its mana cost. I decided to take drastic action and mulligan aggressively to either Canonist or Rec. Sage. I ended up with a 4 of Chalice, Bob, and 2 lands. I managed to resolve Chalice, but was dead to similar shenanigans a turn later. After getting Annihilated I took another draw step and then conceded, joking that it wasn't Karakas, but then realized Karakas does nothing against Omniscience except give him infinite turns. This deck is super gross.

At this point I had played around 30 minutes of Magic total and lost every single game. I couldn't even be salty or tilted, just amused at the absurdity of Legacy. I had ample time to go and convert a pile of junk cards into a Containment Priest, eat, use the bathroom, and scout around. The meta was far less fair than the last big local Legacy tournament I went to in Worcester shortly after Bob Huang's win with UR Delver. There were many Lands, Post/MUD, Sneak/Omni, and Miracles decks in the room, with Delver and Blade looking less represented than usual. Of course, being a Legacy torunament in New England, almost everything was in the room including Moggcatcher Stompy and Zombardment. To my extreme surprise, I even saw someone else playing 4C Loam! turns out he is an active poster I have chatted with on The Source who plays a lot of the same decks as me. Its a small world sometimes, particularly in the Legacy community.

Round 4: Reanimator (2-0)
I had turn 1 Chalice in my opener which I hoped was good against whatever he was playing. Turned out to be pretty good-he discarded a Tidespout Tyrant to hand size. I was able to resolve two Knights but he found an Exhume for his Tyrant. However, he conceded, probably being unable to cast spells to bounce my Knights with one unblocked being lethal.

-3 Loam, -3 P-Fire, -1 G. Teeg
+4 Leyline, +2 Canonist, +1 Toxic Deluge

Game 2 I mulliganed to Leyline. I kind of drew dead from there but managed to land a Chalice on 1 and cobble together a clock of Arbor + Treetop to finish the job.

Round 5: Burn (1-2)
My car buddy! We had been joking around about getting paired since we were both doing poorly. This is a very poor matchup for me but I managed to snag game 1 by aggressively mulliganing to Chalice. We were kind of messing around and playing loose, I forgot a Chalice trigger on a Lavamancer and he forgot an Eidolon trigger.

-3 Loam
+3 Canonist

Games 2 and 3 I got wrecked.

Round 6: Shardless (0-2)
I have seen this player before on Shardless and kept a hand appropriate for the matchup. Surely enough he started with a suspended Ancestral Vision. He Thoughtseized my Knight and Decayed my Library and Chalice on 0 to snag his Vision. I drew a Liliana but had only one Black source.

-1 G. Teeg, -1 Chalice
+1 Thrun, +1 Deluge

I kept a hand with no removal but pressure in the form of two Knights which I could start deploying on my 2nd turn. I got totally blown out by Maelstrom Pulse and he Thoughtseized my Thrun. I proceeded to draw multiple Lilianas but had only a single Black source.

Round 7: Bye

Round 8: Team America
I saw this player earlier and knew he what he was on. As we shuffled and presented out decks to be cut we got distracted by something and then realized we didn't know which deck was which since we had the same sleeves. We called a judge who decided to resolve this odd issue by taking us each aside and asking for a description of our deck and then examining each deck. Anyway, Game 1 he flipped two Delvers I couldn't answer.

-1 G. Teeg, -1 Chalice
+1 Thrun, +1 Deluge

Games 2 and 3 he was a bit slow out of the gates and I was able to answer his board and then Loam lock him. This is a very poor matchup for me in my experience thus far so I was pleasantly surprised, and able to end the tournament on a semi-high note at least.

Final Record: 3-5

So, the tournament ended in tears for my LGS's contingent. One guy had started 4-0, with Goblins no less, but ended 4-3-1. Another guy on Miracles had 3 no shows throughout the day and was able to end 5-3. We joked that he might make Top32 and cash, but he ended up in the 40's. My buddy playing Burn was 3-5 as well I believe, though he might have had a bye too. We went out for some drinks in downtown Providence after, lamented our bad beats and the even worse service at the joint, and then headed back to Boston. All and all, we still managed to have a good time. At the end of the day, having fun is important than anything else in Magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment