I've decided to play some Maverick again after a nearly seven-month hiatus. When I first started Legacy I only played Maverick because it was all I had. Now that my collection has expanded to include other decks I spend less time with it. However, Punishing Maverick is my true "pet deck", and was the inspiration for starting this blog with the Punishing Maverick Primer. Despite that, I actually don't have a lot of practical experience with the deck and am still figuring out my own list. There are around four maindeck flex slots that I'm constantly shifting around. Here is the latest attempt:
 |
| Creature Spells |
 |
| Noncreaure Spells |
 |
| Lands |
 |
| Sideboard |
This maindeck is "retro" to say the least-its pretty similar to the one Max Tietze won an SCG Invitational with in early 2012. The Elspeth should probably be a Batterskull but I like her too much not to give her a shot. Courser is a recent addition that I've seen in some other lists that could be interesting. Its a good blocker and provides lifegain and card advantage.
In the sideboard I'm playing Containment Priest, which looks like a great addition to Maverick at first glance, but with Omni-Tell making Sneak & Show almost obsolete I'm wondering if it deserves a spot anymore. Bonfire is another spicy one I'm trying in place of the lackluster Electrickery.
I honestly think Punishing Maverick may be better positioned that GWb Maverick right now. Red Blasts are a great tool to have against Omni-Tell and other Dig decks, and Punishing Fire, while slow, can decimate the URx Delver decks.
I'm having delusions of bringing this deck to Eternal Weekend in a month, but first I have to settle on a list, and then I have to remember how to play this deck again-its a lot harder than Jund!
No comments:
Post a Comment