Buncha Duals is a long running tournament series held by Die Hard Games in Lincoln, RI, where prizes come in the form of duals and other Legacy goodies. This event was the last Buncha Duals, as the owner of DHG is now all out of duals.
I decided to roll with Jund for this event. I've been a bit down on Aggro Loam since SCG Providence and wanted to mix it up, and the deck honestly felt really strong outside of the Omni-Tell matchup. The 75 I registered was:
There were >90 people so it was a 7-round tournament. I'm pretty tired and have bad notes so I can only give brief details of each match.
Round 1: MUD (2-0)
This is a matchup I run into a lot and am fairly comfortable with. I made some really loose plays, including completely misunderstanding how Coercive Portal works, but managed to pull out the win thanks to the BGx goodstuff.
Round 2: UR Delver (2-0)
Close and interactive games here but I won out. This matchup is actually a lot harder than one might think due to their heavier burn element compared to other Delver decks.
Round 3: UG 12-Post (2-0)
I'd never played against this deck with Jund before, but it seems quite favorable. The discard spells were just really good. I was hoping for some Loam action game 2 but didn't draw it. Props to my opponent's beautiful foiled deck.
Round 4: Omni-Tell (0-2)
I was kind of hoping to dodge this one but that was obviously wishful thinking. At 3-0 the top tables were swarmed with Omni-Tell players.
Round 5: A.N.T. (2-0)
Got there with loads of discard again, plus help from Surgical in game 2.
Round 6: Omni-Tell (0-2)
This matchup is seriously bad. I might need to try Slaughter Games in my board.
Round 7: Affinity Stompy (1-2)
This was a bit of a wacky deck, with stuff like Chalice, Chrome Mox, Stoneforge Mystic, and Myr Enforcer (who is actually really hard to deal with!) The games were interactive and close but I lost out in the end. I was pretty tired and wasn't really playing optimally at this point.
Final Record: 4-3, out of prizes
Not the best finish overall, but not one I'm unhappy with. As I suspected coming in, the deck is quite strong outside of the Omni-Tell matchup, which I'm not sure is fixable. The second Omni-Tell player I lost to was actually a guy from my store, who ended up making Top 8 which was nice. This was the last big event on my calendar before Eternal Weekend in August, my deck choice for which is still undecided. I think it would be really cool to play Punishing Maverick, which I'll probably sleeve up and test for a bit. First, I have to decide on a list though!
I decided to roll with Jund for this event. I've been a bit down on Aggro Loam since SCG Providence and wanted to mix it up, and the deck honestly felt really strong outside of the Omni-Tell matchup. The 75 I registered was:
| Punishing Jund, 6/15 | |
|---|---|
|
|
|
|
There were >90 people so it was a 7-round tournament. I'm pretty tired and have bad notes so I can only give brief details of each match.
Round 1: MUD (2-0)
This is a matchup I run into a lot and am fairly comfortable with. I made some really loose plays, including completely misunderstanding how Coercive Portal works, but managed to pull out the win thanks to the BGx goodstuff.
Round 2: UR Delver (2-0)
Close and interactive games here but I won out. This matchup is actually a lot harder than one might think due to their heavier burn element compared to other Delver decks.
Round 3: UG 12-Post (2-0)
I'd never played against this deck with Jund before, but it seems quite favorable. The discard spells were just really good. I was hoping for some Loam action game 2 but didn't draw it. Props to my opponent's beautiful foiled deck.
Round 4: Omni-Tell (0-2)
I was kind of hoping to dodge this one but that was obviously wishful thinking. At 3-0 the top tables were swarmed with Omni-Tell players.
Round 5: A.N.T. (2-0)
Got there with loads of discard again, plus help from Surgical in game 2.
Round 6: Omni-Tell (0-2)
This matchup is seriously bad. I might need to try Slaughter Games in my board.
Round 7: Affinity Stompy (1-2)
This was a bit of a wacky deck, with stuff like Chalice, Chrome Mox, Stoneforge Mystic, and Myr Enforcer (who is actually really hard to deal with!) The games were interactive and close but I lost out in the end. I was pretty tired and wasn't really playing optimally at this point.
Final Record: 4-3, out of prizes
Not the best finish overall, but not one I'm unhappy with. As I suspected coming in, the deck is quite strong outside of the Omni-Tell matchup, which I'm not sure is fixable. The second Omni-Tell player I lost to was actually a guy from my store, who ended up making Top 8 which was nice. This was the last big event on my calendar before Eternal Weekend in August, my deck choice for which is still undecided. I think it would be really cool to play Punishing Maverick, which I'll probably sleeve up and test for a bit. First, I have to decide on a list though!
No comments:
Post a Comment