Unfortunately, I couldn't take the time off work to compete in the main event at GP Richmond. Nonetheless, I went up to Richmond to hang out and jam some Legacy side events.
It was natural to start with Punishing Maverick, as I hadn't played it since the banning of Deathrite Shaman.
Event 1, Saturday Double-Up
Lands 2-1
Grixis Control 2-0
UWR Delver 2-1
Event 2, Sunday Double-Up
Lands 2-1
Moon Stompy 2-0
Eldrazi 2-1
Apparently winning with Punishing Maverick is too easy, so I decided to play a last event on hardmode with GW Maverick. My list was inspired by Julian Knab's recent MTGO 5-0:
This deck was put together in a hurry and wasn't exactly optimized. There should have been another fetchland instead of the 3rd Mystic, with Sword of Light and Shadow instead of Batterskull. Also, Phyrexian Revoker in the sideboard should have been an Elspeth or Armageddon (I forgot my Armageddons at home, doh!).
Event 3, Sunday Regular
Esperblade 2-1
Aggro Loam 2-0
Miracles 1-2
This event went slightly worse. Notably, I won a game against Loam with Always Watching and Sigarda equipped with Sword of Fire and Ice. My round 3 pairing against Miracles made the "bug" in my sideboard super punishing.
In total, I won 1,200 tickets which I turned into over $200 in cash. A chunk of this cash was exchanged for signatures by Christopher Moeller. I visited his booth about four times on Sunday because I kept discovering cards he had illustrated!
Some conclusions reached over the weekend:
It was natural to start with Punishing Maverick, as I hadn't played it since the banning of Deathrite Shaman.
| Punishing Maverick, 9/1/18 | |
|---|---|
|
|
|
|
Event 1, Saturday Double-Up
Lands 2-1
Grixis Control 2-0
UWR Delver 2-1
Event 2, Sunday Double-Up
Lands 2-1
Moon Stompy 2-0
Eldrazi 2-1
Apparently winning with Punishing Maverick is too easy, so I decided to play a last event on hardmode with GW Maverick. My list was inspired by Julian Knab's recent MTGO 5-0:
| GW Maverick, 9/2/18 | |
|---|---|
|
|
|
|
This deck was put together in a hurry and wasn't exactly optimized. There should have been another fetchland instead of the 3rd Mystic, with Sword of Light and Shadow instead of Batterskull. Also, Phyrexian Revoker in the sideboard should have been an Elspeth or Armageddon (I forgot my Armageddons at home, doh!).
Event 3, Sunday Regular
Esperblade 2-1
Aggro Loam 2-0
Miracles 1-2
This event went slightly worse. Notably, I won a game against Loam with Always Watching and Sigarda equipped with Sword of Fire and Ice. My round 3 pairing against Miracles made the "bug" in my sideboard super punishing.
In total, I won 1,200 tickets which I turned into over $200 in cash. A chunk of this cash was exchanged for signatures by Christopher Moeller. I visited his booth about four times on Sunday because I kept discovering cards he had illustrated!

Some conclusions reached over the weekend:
- Reanimator seems to be on the downtick (especially with the presence of maindeck copies of Reanimate in the Death's Shadow decks) and Lands is still a fantastic matchup (haven't lost a sanctioned match against Lands since Jan 2017). Therefore, I think the 2nd Surgical and 2nd Ooze aren't needed in the 75 of Punishing Maverick.
- I suspected Voice of Resurgence would get way worse in the new meta, but there is enough Grixis and Delver that its still fine.
- Maze of Ith is not worth running without Ramunap Excavator or Loam.
- Owen Turtenwald's UW Delver deck looks sweet. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to try it though.
- The side event structure at GPs has gotten way worse than it was in the past. The $20 events are horrible EV unless you go 3-0, and while the $35 ones are better in that regard, spending $20-35 to play only three rounds of Magic is off-putting.
- Mama J's is good (get the fried catfish), but not worth a 1 hour+ wait if you're hungry.
No comments:
Post a Comment