GW Banner

GW Banner

Monday, June 25, 2018

Tournament Report: Top8 @ Giga-Bites Legacy Quarterly with Punishing Maverick, 6/23/18

A significant change occurred in my life this April: I moved from Massachusetts to Florida for work reasons. Unfortunately, Northeast Florida doesn't exactly have a thriving Legacy scene. There's a monthly event at Jax Game Center in Jacksonville, but any other regular Legacy event is several hours away from me. As a result, I'm not playing much paper Legacy these days. MTGO just isn't as satisfying as paper Magic, so I've actually started going to a Modern FNM - more on that later!

Craving Legacy, I journeyed 6 hours up to Atlanta last weekend to sling old pieces of cardboard in the Giga-Bites Cafe Legacy Quarterly Win-a-Mox.



Punishing Maverick, 6/23/18

  • Creature Spells (21)
  • 4x Mother of Runes
  • 3x Noble Hierarch
  • 1x Birds of Paradise
  • 3x Stoneforge Mystic
  • 2x Qasali Pridemage
  • 2x Scavenging Ooze
  • 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • 1x Scryb Ranger
  • 4x Knight of the Reliquary
  • Noncreature Spells (15)
  • 4x Green Sun's Zenith
  • 4x Swords to Plowshares
  • 4x Punishing Fire
  • 1x Sylvan Library
  • 1x Umezawa's Jitte
  • 1x Sword of Fire and Ice
  • 1x Batterskull
  • Lands (23)
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Wooded Foothills
  • 2x Savannah
  • 2x Taiga
  • 1x Plateau
  • 1x Forest
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Dryad Arbor
  • 3x Grove of the Burnwillows
  • 1x Karakas
  • 3x Wasteland
  • 1x Horizon Canopy
  • SB: 2x Surgical Extraction
  • SB: 2x Choke
  • SB: 2x Crop Rotation
  • SB: 2x Ethersworn Canonist
  • SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
  • SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
  • SB: 1x Voice of Resurgence
  • SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • SB: 1x Wear / Tear
  • SB: 1x Phyrexian Revoker
  • SB: 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

The only significant change I've made to my list recently is going down to 23 lands. After cutting the Dark Depths combo a few months ago I decided to maintain the same number of mana-producing lands (24), but eventually noticed that I was flooding often and could afford to cut one. This has been a fine change so far, but I'm still uncertain if  Horizon Canopy is better than a 3rd Savannah. The advantages of Savannah over Canopy are that it is painless, fuels Knight/Scryb Ranger activations, and is another fetchable dual land against Wasteland-heavy decks.

A healthy attendance of 91 players meant there would be 7 rounds of swiss. Here's how my rounds went:

Round 1: Oops, All Spells! (2-1)
Round 2: BUG Control (2-1)
Round 3: Grixis Delver (2-1)
Round 4: Czech Pile (2-0)
Round 5: MUD Post (2-0)
Round 6: ID
Round 7: ID
Quarterfinal: Czech Pile (0-2)

Both games of the QF were winnable had I played better, but oh well. I won some cash which covered the cost of the Airbnb and gas and got to head back home earlier. Giga-Bites had a great event and I look forward to attending future ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment