GW Banner

GW Banner

Monday, June 19, 2017

Maverick in GP Vegas Side Events

After a lacking 3-4 drop performance playing Punishing Zoo in the GP main event, I decided I would try my luck playing Maverick in side events for the rest of the week. There were several Legacy "Double-Up" events scheduled, which were capped at 4 rounds, run at Regular REL, and awarded prize wall tickets based on record. I was determined to craft a 75 for my first Double-Up on Friday afternoon that would have good matchups VS Burn and BR Griselbrand, which had been incredibly popular strategies in the main event. This motive led me to play GWb Maverick for the first time in around one year. Here is the list I came up with:


GWb Maverick, 6/16/17

  • Creature Spells (26)
  • 4x Mother of Runes
  • 3x Deathrite Shaman
  • 2x Noble Hierarch
  • 3x Stoneforge Mystic
  • 3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
  • 2x Qasali Pridemage
  • 2x Scavenging Ooze
  • 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • 1x Scryb Ranger
  • 4x Knight of the Reliquary
  • 1x Courser of Kruphix
  • Noncreature Spells (12)
  • 4x Green Sun's Zenith
  • 4x Swords to Plowshares
  • 1x Sylvan Library
  • 1x Umezawa's Jitte
  • 1x Sword of Fire and Ice
  • 1x Batterskull
  • Lands (22)
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Verdant Catacombs
  • 3x Savannah
  • 1x Bayou
  • 1x Scrubland
  • 1x Forest
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Dryad Arbor
  • 1x Gaea's Cradle
  • 1x Karakas
  • 1x Horizon Canopy
  • 4x Wasteland

  • SB: 3x Surgical Extraction
  • SB: 3x Thoughtseize
  • SB: 2x Zealous Persecuion
  • SB: 1x Enlightened Tutor
  • SB: 1x Grafdigger's Cage
  • SB: 1x Phyrexian Revoker 
  • SB: 1x Ethersworn Canonist
  • SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
  • SB: 1x Path to Exile



I don't have much to say about the list, but I just want to bring attention to one card: Courser of Kruphix. While not flashy its a powerful advantage engine in long games. However, in the pre-Top banning meta Courser was incredibly bad against Wear / Tear out of Miracles, to the point that I deemed it uplayable. With Miracles significantly diminished I believe this card is a very viable option for a supplemental 3-drop once again. Tireless Tracker and Renegade Rallier have legs in this slot as well, but I don't own and haven't tested either of those cards yet.

My matches in this event went as follows:

Round 1: BUG Aluren (2-1)
Round 2: BUG Depths (2-1)
Round 3: A.N.T. (2-0)
Round 4: BR Griselbrand (2-1)

I offered a split to my Round 4 opponent but he wanted to play it out for more tix, so winning that round gave me the added satisfaction of being a "dream crusher". While rusty with GWb Maverick I think I played OK overall. Resting on the laurels of my 4-0, I was content to play Punishing Maverick in the next Legacy Double-Up on Saturday, combo decks be damned.


Punishing Maverick, 6/17/17

  • Creature Spells (21)
  • 4x Mother of Runes
  • 3x Noble Hierarch
  • 1x Birds of Paradise
  • 2x Stoneforge Mystic
  • 2x Qasali Pridemage
  • 2x Scavenging Ooze
  • 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • 1x Scryb Ranger
  • 4x Knight of the Reliquary
  • 1x Courser of Kruphix
  • Noncreature Spells (14)
  • 4x Green Sun's Zenith
  • 4x Swords to Plowshares
  • 3x Punishing Fire
  • 1x Sylvan Library
  • 1x Umezawa's Jitte
  • 1x Sword of Feast and Famine
  • Lands (25)
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Wooded Foothills
  • 3x Savannah
  • 2x Taiga
  • 1x Plateau
  • 1x Forest
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Dryad Arbor
  • 3x Grove of the Burnwillows
  • 1x Karakas
  • 3x Wasteland
  • 1x Thespian's Stage
  • 1x Dark Depths
  • SB: 2x Surgical Extraction
  • SB: 2x Pyroblast
  • SB: 2x Crop Rotation
  • SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
  • SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
  • SB: 1x Phyrexian Revoker
  • SB: 2x Ethersworn Canonist
  • SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • SB: 1x Wear / Tear
  • SB: 1x Always Watching
  • SB: 1x Sudden Demise

This list incorporated several new cards I wanted to test:

  • Wear / Tear: I recently tried this card out in Zoo as a Disenchant-type effect to supplement Qasali Pridemage and Reclamation Sage. While those are great cards and can be tutored with GSZ, they can be a bit inefficient so I saw the need for cheaper interaction. Krosan Grip and Ancient Grudge were considered but Wear / Tear is the most flexible overall.
  • Sudden Demise: Sweepers can be awkward to slot into Maverick due to its creature-heavy nature but are very useful to have in some matchups where your spot removal isn't efficient enough or is taxed too heavily.  I've played Electrickery and Fiery Justice in this role before but am exploring Sudden Demise since it minimally impacts your own board in many situations due to its selective nature and is particularly potent VS multi-colored Leovold decks. Unfortunately, there is still no efficient Red sweeper that kills True-Name Nemesis.
  • Always Watching: This is interesting technology a friend was thinking of trying in Bant Deathblade. Its well-suited to a Maverick deck since the anthem effect reduces your exposure to -1/-1 effects, and Vigilance pairs nicely with all your creatures with tap abilities. I put this card in the SB slot I typically reserve for a grindy Planeswalker as it has applications VS similar decks including Stoneblade, Shardless, Czech Pile, Death & Taxes, and Lands.
  • Sword of Feast and Famine: I have played this card in Maverick sporadically over the years, and eventually concluded there was no reason to play it over Sword of Fire and Ice or Sword of Light and Shadow in a Miracles-dominated meta. Now that Miracles is diminished it may have a chance to shine again, but after playing it regularly in Stoneblade decks over the last month I'm still struggling to justify running it as the Sword of choice.

My matches in this second event went as follows:

T.E.S. (1-2)
Ur Omni-Tell (2-1)
Omni-Sneak (2-1)
Death & Taxes (2-0)

I ended up playing against a bunch of combo decks anyway, but managed to triumph over two of them and only narrowly lost to the third. Wear / Tear was great VS Death & Taxes and Omni-Sneak (got to pick off a Lotus Petal). I only brought Always Watching in against D&T but unfortunately never drew it.

This event brought my final record with Maverick decks over the weekend to 7-1 with 1400 tix worth of winnings, which I was able to convert into about $250 of cash via "alternative channels". Maverick is the greatest after all.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the side event finishes! Do you feel as though standard GWb or Punishing is better suited for the meta moving forward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are reasonably well positioned right now. I do think that Punishing Fire is particularly strong in the current meta and will be looking to play it for the near future.

      Delete
  2. Hi, congrats for blog and result. I would like to back playing Legacy after a couple of years with Maverick (punishing variant) and I wish to ask a question: should be viable to keep 1 side slot for Glacial Chasm http://magiccards.info/ia/en/331.html maybe in conjunction with almost 2 crop rotation?To me seems a pretty decent option but rarely (never) see in maverick's sideboards (and this makes me ask if there's some good point to not play it but I can't figure what :) ). Thanks and congrats again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played Glacial Chasm in Maverick so I can't really comment. It certainly has a unique effect, but I'm not sure what matchups you want it in. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

      Delete