GW Banner

GW Banner

Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Modern Renaissance

Modern is a format I've relegated to the back burner for several years, having last played it regularly during 2014. Since then, a flurry of bannings and unbannings have occurred, and decks have risen and fallen. By now, Modern has become a nearly unrecognizable format.

A few weeks ago I decided to play in SCG Modern Regionals on a lark, mostly because it was being held at my LGS, Gaming Etc. My Modern collection had been decimated from years of disuse. I could put together some sort of Zoo deck from my Legacy collection, but had my eyes set on something a bit different. After buying a few cards and asking around to borrow others, I ended up with this:


UW Midrange, 2/4/17

  • Creature Spells (16)
  • 4x Wall of Omens
  • 4x Blade Splicer
  • 2x Vendilion Clique
  • 2x Snapcaster Mage
  • 4x Restoration Angel

  • Noncreature Spells (19)
  • 4x Path to Exile
  • 4x Spell Snare
  • 3x Mana Leak
  • 2x Cryptic Command
  • 2x Ojutai's Command
  • 1x Blessed Alliance
  • 1x Detention Sphere
  • 1x Engineered Explosives
  • 1x Supreme Verdict
  • Lands (25)
  • 4x Flooded Strand
  • 2x Hallowed Fountain
  • 5x Island
  • 2x Plains
  • 4x Celestial Colonnade
  • 2x Glacial Fortress
  • 1x Mystic Gate
  • 4x Ghost Quarter
  • 1x Moorland Haunt



  • SB: 2x Grafdigger's Cage
  • SB: 1x Dispel
  • SB: 2x Negate
  • SB: 1x Condemn
  • SB: 2x Stony Silence
  • SB: 2x Aven Mindcensor
  • SB: 1x Pithing Needle
  • SB: 1x Celestial Purge
  • SB: 1x Detention Sphere
  • SB: 1x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
  • SB: 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant



UW Midrange/Control is an archetype that has existed in Modern for a long time. You may recall John Finkel playing such a deck at the Players' Championship in 2012. This archetype got a significant boost with the printing of Flooded Strand into Modern, cementing one of its greatest advantages: a rock-solid manabase that can support two of the best lands in Modern, Celestial Colonnade and Ghost Quarter. Beyond the manabase there are a range of builds that can be played, from "do-nothing" Sphinx's Revelation control to value-oriented midrange.

I was naturally interested in trying a UW deck since Celestial Colonnade (which I had never played with) and Cryptic Command are two of my favorite Modern cards. The midrangey builds looked perfect for me due to their focus on creatures and blink shenanigans, one of my favorite things in Magic.

For my creature suite I went with the non-traditional choice of Blade Splicer over Kitchen Finks. Blade Splicer is card I have very fond memories of as it was the bread and butter of my first competitive Magic deck. It does some things better than Kitchen Finks and other things worse. Running Blade Splicer also opened up the possibility of playing Ojutai's Command for further cuteness (Update: this interaction does not work the way I want it to). Adding a Moorland Haunt was irresistible as well (I even considered jamming a Venser, the Sojourner somewhere in the 75 but that was too much). Otherwise, I think the list was pretty standard.

The tournament went poorly for me with a final record of 3-6. I honestly wasn't expecting to do well considering how rusty I was with the format, coupled with the fact that my deck probably wasn't very good. Indeed, I got punished for numerous play and sideboarding mistakes. However, I had a great time overall, and my interest in Modern has been re-invigorated and I've bought the remaining cards for the UW deck.

I also decided to give Zoo a spin in a local monthly event two weeks later.


Zoo, 2/18/17

  • Creature Spells (27)
  • 4x Noble Hierarch
  • 4x Wild Nacatl
  • 4x Tarmogoyf
  • 2x Qasali Pridemage
  • 2x Scavenging Ooze
  • 1x Voice of Resurgence
  • 4x Knight of the Reliquary
  • 3x Loxodon Smiter
  • 2x Stormbreath Dragon


  • Noncreature Spells (11)
  • 4x Path to Exile
  • 4x Lightning Bolt
  • 1x Domri Rade
  • 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
  • 1x Chandra, Pyromaster

  • Lands (22)
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 1x Arid Mesa
  • 2x Temple Garden
  • 2x Stomping Ground
  • 1x Sacred Foundry
  • 2x Forest
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Mountain
  • 1x Horizon Canopy
  • 1x Stirring Wildwood
  • 1x Ghost Quarter
  • 1x Kessig Wolf Run



  • SB: 2x Grafdigger's Cage
  • SB: 2x Blood Moon
  • SB: 2x Kitchen Finks
  • SB: 2x Stony Silence
  • SB: 2x Gaddock Teeg
  • SB: 2x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
  • SB: 1x Ancient Grudge
  • SB: 1x Dromoka's Command
  • SB: 1x Pithing Needle





Its a Big Zoo deck pretty similar to those that emerged in the aftermath of Wild Nacatl's unbanning. My curve goes up to five with Stormbreath Dragon in true Kibler style. I was reminded of the power of this card when I had the misfortune to play against it with the UW deck. Pro-White, Flying, Haste, and even Monstrous are all real things.

This tournament fared better than the first. I ended with a 4-2 record for 11th place out of 40-something players. My familiarity with Big Zoo in Legacy and the fact that its a reasonably forgiving deck definitely helped, but again I made several poor plays and sideboarding choices due to my inexperience with the format.

There are a few things I'd like to refine with the list. A 23rd land is needed in order to play 5-drops, and the manabase was sometimes sketchy in terms of colors (Red in particular), so the 2nd Arid Mesa is going in, and Raging Ravine will possibly replace Stirring Wildwood. In the sideboard I'll try cutting the versatile Dromoka's Command for a more dedicated removal spell like Fiery Justice.

Overall, I'm looking forward to play some more Modern. It will make for a nice change of pace from Legacy every so often.

2 comments:

  1. I like your Big Zoo list. Always good to see Stormbreath Dragon.

    In your UW list, did you consider Geist of St. Traft and Spell Queller? I know your March 1 post mentions both of them. In particular I think that a lot of the metagame evolution that you noted in Legacy, which was bad for St. Traft, is either not Modern-legal or less prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since moved to playing Spell Quller in a more Flash-focused UW list. I am interested to try Geist out, but am not very hopeful it will be effective.

      Delete