GW Banner

GW Banner

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Local Legacy: 3/18

I've been playing Bant at my locals for the last few weeks. Its a really sweet deck and I just can't put it down. While it doesn't have many stellar matchups, most feel winnable if you play tightly. Unfortunately, I don't always play tightly...

Meta Breakdown:
1 A.N.T.
1 Bant Blade
1 Bant Lands
1 Burning Reanimator
1 Deadguy Ale
1 Esper Delver
1 The Gate
2 Grixis Delver
1 GWb Maverick
1 Mentor/Legend Miracles
2 Moggcatcher Stompy
1 Shardless BUG
1 T.E.S.
1 ??

Here is the list I played:


BANT BLADE, 3/18/16
  • Creature Spells (14)
  • 4x Noble Hierarch
  • 3x Stoneforge Mystic
  • 1x Scavenging Ooze
  • 1x Qasali Pridemage
  • 3x True-Name Nemesis
  • 2x Knight of the Reliquary
  • Noncreature Spells (24)
  • 4x Green Sun's Zenith
  • 4x Brainstorm
  • 4x Swords to Plowshares
  • 1x Ponder
  • 1x Spell Pierce
  • 3x Daze
  • 3x Force of Will
  • 2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
  • 1x Umezawa's Jitte
  • 1x Batterskull
  • Lands (22)
  • 4x Misty Rainforest
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 1x Flooded Strand
  • 3x Tropical Island
  • 2x Tundra
  • 1x Savannah
  • 1x Forest
  • 1x Island
  • 1x Dryad Arbor
  • 1x Karakas
  • 3x Wasteland
  • SB: 2x Tormod's Crypt
  • SB: 1x Detention Sphere
  • SB: 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
  • SB: 1x Enlightened Tutor
  • SB: 1x Ethersworn Canonist
  • SB: 1x Force of Will
  • SB: 1x Flusterstorm
  • SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
  • SB: 1x Path to Exile
  • SB: 1x Pithing Needle
  • SB: 1x Qasali Pridemage
  • SB: 1x Rest in Peace
  • SB: 1x Tsabo's Web
  • SB: 1x Vendilion Clique


Most recently I've been going a bit old-school with Forces in the side and more Green creatures main. This time I went with a very "stock" Force of Will maindeck, 3 True-Name/2 Knight split and a Ponder instead of the 23rd land.

I tried to be a bit creative with the sideboard by incorporating an Enlightened Tutor package. Lands is common at this store and is a matchup I've struggled with, so I decided to go deep with Tsabo's Web (unfortunately, fewer Lands players showed up than usual). I also played a Detention Sphere in the slot I typically play Engineered Explosives.

Round 1: Shardless BUG (2-1)
G1. I managed to stabilize the board with a Jace and countered Ancestral Vision to secure my victory.
G2. Turn 2 Liliana was backbreaking. I made a poor play involving Stoneforge Mystic/Jitte/Dryad Arbor, missing an opportunity to get 2 Jitte counters.
G3. I had a strong draw and overwhelmed my opponent with threats.

Round 2: T.E.S. (2-1)
G1. Very close considering how light on interaction I was, coming down to Batterskull racing Goblins. Burning Wish for Void Snare sealed the race in his favor.
G2. I got there on a potentially disastrous 6-card hand of one land (Karakas) + relevant U and G spells. He was slow out of the gates and I drew a timely fetchland to start casting counterspells and bears.
G3. He went off with Burning Wish for Ad Nauseam after trading with two counterspells but didn't draw into enough mana to finish going off, and was killed by my Noble Hierarch at 1 life.

Round 3: Grixis Delver (2-0)
G1. He had an anemic draw of triple Deathrite Shaman, and Stoneforge Mystic was able to cheat in Batterskull unopposed.
G2. He was pulling ahead with Young Pyromancer, but I got True-Name + Equipment on-line thanks to a timely Brainstorm and rode it to victory.

Round 4: Burning Reanimator (ID)

Overall Record: 3-0-1, tied for 2nd
Very satisfied with the result, not only due to prizing, but due to the fact that I triumphed against 3 different decks that have given me a hard time in the past playing Bant.

No comments:

Post a Comment