Tonight I went back to my normal 4C Loam build:
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Windswept Heath
2x Bayou
2x Scrubland
2x Taiga
1x Savannah
1x Forest
1x Dryad Arbor
2x Grove of the Burnwillows
1x Karakas
1x Stirring Wildwood
2x Barren Moor
2x Tranquil Thicket
4x Wasteland
4x Mox Diamond
4x Chalice of the Void
3x Life from the Loam
1x Sylvan Library
2x Green Sun's Zenith
3x Abrupt Decay
3x Punishing Fire
3x Liliana of the Veil
4x Dark Confidant
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Tarmogoyf
4x Knight of the Reliquary
SB 4x Leyline of the Void
SB 2x Golgari Charm
SB 1x Toxic Deluge
SB 3x Ethersworn Canonist
SB 1x Gaddock Teeg
SB 1x Reclamation Sage
SB 1x Thrun, the Last Troll
SB 1x Phyrexian Revoker
SB 1x Krosan Grip
There were 8 of us, so it was a 3-round tournament:
Round 1: Reanimator (2-1)
Game 1 I had Chalice on 1 but he had a Hapless Researcher under it and eventually pitched and Exhumed Elesh Norn. Hapless Researcher: good Magic card.
-3 Punishing Fire, -1 Loam, -1 G. Teeg, -1 Liliana, -1 Abrupt Decay
+4 Leyline, +2 Canonist, +1 Deluge
Kept Decays around in case Pithing Needle showed up. Brought in Canonist for Tidespout Tyrant and Deluge as a random panic button. I stole games 2 and 3 on double mulligans to Leyline. He had Echoing Truth in his deck so it wasn't a hard lock, but I got there.
Round 2: RUG Lands (2-1)
Game 1 I got killed by a fast Marit Lage. I saw Trop, Tar-Pit, Exploration, and Tolaria West. For some reason I decided he was on a BUG Depths brew that probably had cantrips and Force even though it would have been simpler to just put him on RUG Lands (which frequently plays Tar Pit). Based on this erroneous assumption, I brought in 2 Canonists, which did nothing. Game 2 was a grind-fest and I eventually prevailed with unkillable Knights. It was satisfying to see Tabernacle be ineffective compared to when I'm facing it with Maverick.
-3 Punishing Fire, -1 Liliana, -1 G. Teeg,
+4 Leyline, +1 Rec. Sage
When Game 3 started I realized I should have boarded out Chalice but forgot to. I probably should have also taken out a 2nd Liliana for Krosan Grip. Game 3 was another grindfest, got there in extra turns with giant Knights again. I think I misplayed game 3. There were some weird turns where he had Punishing Grove and Academy/Explosives and I was trying to jam Ooze or Leyline to break it up while constrained on mana. Later he had Loam, Manabond, and double Maze for my 2 Knights, but I managed to find a probably sub-optimal line through it.
Round 3: Death & Taxes (2-1)
Game 1 he had a great start on the play and I fell victim to typical D&T shenanigans. I followed the advice of some posts on The Source for this matchup, cutting Chalices and Mox Diamond for the post board games.
-4 Chalice, -2 Mox Diamond, -1 G. Teeg,
+2 Golgari Charm, +1 Toxic Deluge, +1 Krosan Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Phyrexian Revoker, +1 Thrun
I inadvertently brought in Thrun even though he's poor in this matchup. In future I think I'd rather have a singleton Chalice. Game 2 he was light on action and I got to Punishing Fire lock + Loam lock. Game 3 he conceded to a 3-for-1 from Golgari Charm while on 1 land. After my bad beats against DnT last time with the Burning Wish version, I solicited some matchup advice from the friendly folks in the Aggro Loam thread on The Source which was quite helpful-I didn't realize how bad Chalice and Moxes are against DnT.
Final Record: 3-0. There was another 3-0 player and I ended in 2nd on breakers. All in all deck felt good as usual, though I still have plenty of room to improve with it.
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Windswept Heath
2x Bayou
2x Scrubland
2x Taiga
1x Savannah
1x Forest
1x Dryad Arbor
2x Grove of the Burnwillows
1x Karakas
1x Stirring Wildwood
2x Barren Moor
2x Tranquil Thicket
4x Wasteland
4x Mox Diamond
4x Chalice of the Void
3x Life from the Loam
1x Sylvan Library
2x Green Sun's Zenith
3x Abrupt Decay
3x Punishing Fire
3x Liliana of the Veil
4x Dark Confidant
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Tarmogoyf
4x Knight of the Reliquary
SB 4x Leyline of the Void
SB 2x Golgari Charm
SB 1x Toxic Deluge
SB 3x Ethersworn Canonist
SB 1x Gaddock Teeg
SB 1x Reclamation Sage
SB 1x Thrun, the Last Troll
SB 1x Phyrexian Revoker
SB 1x Krosan Grip
There were 8 of us, so it was a 3-round tournament:
Round 1: Reanimator (2-1)
Game 1 I had Chalice on 1 but he had a Hapless Researcher under it and eventually pitched and Exhumed Elesh Norn. Hapless Researcher: good Magic card.
-3 Punishing Fire, -1 Loam, -1 G. Teeg, -1 Liliana, -1 Abrupt Decay
+4 Leyline, +2 Canonist, +1 Deluge
Kept Decays around in case Pithing Needle showed up. Brought in Canonist for Tidespout Tyrant and Deluge as a random panic button. I stole games 2 and 3 on double mulligans to Leyline. He had Echoing Truth in his deck so it wasn't a hard lock, but I got there.
Round 2: RUG Lands (2-1)
Game 1 I got killed by a fast Marit Lage. I saw Trop, Tar-Pit, Exploration, and Tolaria West. For some reason I decided he was on a BUG Depths brew that probably had cantrips and Force even though it would have been simpler to just put him on RUG Lands (which frequently plays Tar Pit). Based on this erroneous assumption, I brought in 2 Canonists, which did nothing. Game 2 was a grind-fest and I eventually prevailed with unkillable Knights. It was satisfying to see Tabernacle be ineffective compared to when I'm facing it with Maverick.
-3 Punishing Fire, -1 Liliana, -1 G. Teeg,
+4 Leyline, +1 Rec. Sage
When Game 3 started I realized I should have boarded out Chalice but forgot to. I probably should have also taken out a 2nd Liliana for Krosan Grip. Game 3 was another grindfest, got there in extra turns with giant Knights again. I think I misplayed game 3. There were some weird turns where he had Punishing Grove and Academy/Explosives and I was trying to jam Ooze or Leyline to break it up while constrained on mana. Later he had Loam, Manabond, and double Maze for my 2 Knights, but I managed to find a probably sub-optimal line through it.
Round 3: Death & Taxes (2-1)
Game 1 he had a great start on the play and I fell victim to typical D&T shenanigans. I followed the advice of some posts on The Source for this matchup, cutting Chalices and Mox Diamond for the post board games.
-4 Chalice, -2 Mox Diamond, -1 G. Teeg,
+2 Golgari Charm, +1 Toxic Deluge, +1 Krosan Grip, +1 Rec. Sage, +1 Phyrexian Revoker, +1 Thrun
I inadvertently brought in Thrun even though he's poor in this matchup. In future I think I'd rather have a singleton Chalice. Game 2 he was light on action and I got to Punishing Fire lock + Loam lock. Game 3 he conceded to a 3-for-1 from Golgari Charm while on 1 land. After my bad beats against DnT last time with the Burning Wish version, I solicited some matchup advice from the friendly folks in the Aggro Loam thread on The Source which was quite helpful-I didn't realize how bad Chalice and Moxes are against DnT.
Final Record: 3-0. There was another 3-0 player and I ended in 2nd on breakers. All in all deck felt good as usual, though I still have plenty of room to improve with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment